Tuesday, April 24, 2007



200 Pounds Beauty [미녀는 괴로워, pronounced: Mi Nyeo-neun Gwae Ro Wo] is superb! What supposed to be a comedy did more than making me laugh like gila. Anyway, I wanted to watched this movie 4 days ago (which is my birthday). But due to some unforeseen circumstances, I didn't managed to catch it. But anyway I still get to watch today! I never regretted going for a one-man-show, because I did something that many of you will not get to see. Hehe!


SPOILERS AHEAD!

Basically, the story revolves around 3 main characters; Hanna (aka Jenny, when she got slim and pretty in the later part of the story), Sang Jun and Ammi. Other minor characters include Hanna's father (The one who acted as Jang Geum's adoptive father in Jewel In The Palace), Hanna's plastic surgeon which turns out to be her phone sex partner and Hanna's best friend.

Here is the main catch, Hanna is an ugly and fat girl but with an uber beautiful voice. She has two jobs, one as what I had described above and two, as a singer. But due to her unpresentable image, she had no choice but to sing backstage and in the end Ammi benefited from Hanna's talent (voice). As you had guessed it, Ammi is the sexy and pretty one but she can't sing. All Ammi had to do is to lip-sync. This is sort of like 'stealing' Hanna's voice and use it as an advantage kinda thing.

Hanna was so-called involved in a one-way relationship with Sang Jun, Ammi's music producer. Yes, Sang Jun dosen't know that Hanna was in love with her. Hanna couldn't bear to confess her affections toward Sang Jun because you should know la, she is ugly and she wasn't prepared for a rejection. And so, Hanna kept on with her admiration until one fine day, she found out something which hurts her heart so deeply that she was on the verge upon commiting suicide. But a phone call saved her, that was her phone sex partner.

The scene was then brought forward to a plastic reconstruction clinic, where Hanna met her surgeon who is that person who called her when she was trying to end her life. I think you all know the cue, Hanna demanded a whole body plastic surgery. Surgeon doesn't allow, thinks she is mad. Hanna then revealed the surgeon's dirty secret. In the end, Hanna went through the operation.

A year had passed, and as expected, she became a babe. She goes round flaunting her new self. She looked so different that even her best friend couldn't even recognize her! She then went back to the music company, not as the old Hanna, but the new Jenny. She claims to be an American-Korean. So on and so forth, and she finally became a superstar surpassing Ammi naturally (She can't sing, remember?). Ammi, having eaten the sour grapes, tried to sabo Jenny. She did some research and finally concluded that the Jenny was actually Hanna.

Meanwhile, Sung Jun slowly fell in love with Hanna. Sung Jun actually wanted to engage hanky-panky stuffs with Hanna, but Hanna afraid that her real self will get exposed. This resulted in Sung Jun's displeasure. This is also the juncture that Sung Jun found out that Jenny was Hanna.

During Hanna's first concert, Ammi tried to reveal Jenny's real identity by threatening the music company. But when Jenny went up stage to perform, she suddenly broke down and started to fess up her true self. Suprisingly, her fans was unwavered upon hearing this shocking news but they even cheered for Hanna. Hanna started to apologize to everybody she had hurt and desserted. And the story sort of ended here.


My feel? I feel that this movie is great in the sense that it made me laughed like one crazy guy inside the box office. I should say its not all about romance and comedy, like when Hanna wanted to sabo the surgeon that he had been unfaithful to his spouse, it was all presented in a humourous way. But there are some part with reveal the cruel side of society - being superficial. Its true that in this society, looks does play a big part in helping you advance further and easier. As such, people tend to feel that they are not good-looking or pretty enough and would want to change. In the end, they took the 'easy' way out, that is going under the knife. But little did they know that having to go through plastic surgery will not be a sure-fire way to get your dream look or body. Like there is one scene that Hanna had to re-do her nose due to who knows, surgeon mistake, wrong material used, contaminated things or what?

Plastic surgery also had its side-effects, I heard over the air that there is this person who got her face done. Although satisfied with her appearance, she wasn't able laugh from then on as doing so will cause the person to be in pain. Contradicting right? You are happy at something, but your face doesn't allow you to. Can you imagine that everytime the lady is in pain just because she wanted to smile or laugh, she will never forget about that operation incident.

Back to the story, remember I wrote about Hanna's confession at the stage in her concert? That is uberly touching. So touching that it pulled the strings of my heart. Yes, I didn't hold back my tears. I don't know how to describe the way she said her words, all the people inside the movie started to cry, slowly I heard sniffing inside the box office. Its really really touching! That was something worth shedding tears for, seriously.

Thus, you know why I went to watch this movie alone? Wahaha!

Oh, nearly forgotten, the rating! I'll give it 9.5 out of 10 cheesy nachos (that will mean the conventional 'stars')! This means that people who haven't went to watch it, waiting for christmas or the next Easter?! Lols. And those who had watched it, its worth to go for the second time!

No comments: