Friday, May 01, 2009

Julienne, Brunoise, Batonnet and Bentonnet?

Two weeks since my first day of school, or should I say kitchen? My life seems to be back to the secondary school days; waking up at 5am, be in full attire and assemble by 7.50am for roll-call, all the way till about 5pm – 6pm where we call it a day.

Back at home, other then having dinner and sleeping, still have to practice vegetable cuts (see post title), print notes and recipes, ironing chef’s jacket, neckerchief, chef’s beret, apron, pants and whatnots. Not forgetting about polishing my shoes. Regretted using my safety shoes for work last time, because of this, I got marks and scratches on the shoes and the instructors who checked my attire for the first two days kept penalizing me for my shoes. Sigh…

I have no life for myself!

Lols, and I’ve yet to master my vegetable cuts! All of them are uneven and they looked so fugly! Yesterday’s knife skill needs me to cut a humongous carrots into batonnet, julienne, and medium dice (yes, they have different sizes for different names), slice and dice an onion, mincing garlic as well as parsley. All that presented within 40 minutes. Seems like ample time, right? But alot of people did not complete the whole cuts on time – Yours Truly included. And I’m having a test on these cuttings next Friday, this include all these vegetable cuts, and preparing a full meal too. With my current standards, how to make it sia?

Bahh, lazy to update liao.

Its HK, its Hell’s Kitchen!!

 

“Yes chef!

No, chef!

Sorry chef!

Thank you chef!”

No comments: